Movies for Spanish Class
I've been seeing a ton of teachers asking for movies to show in Spanish class, so I decided to compile a list of the ones that I love to show and group them by country with a little bit of info about each. Even if you don't plan to use them in class watch them! All of these are great movies!
Note: If the title is in Spanish then so is the movie, if English then so is the move.
Spain
Volver- About a mother's search for herself after losing her husband and mother. (For more mature audiences)
El laberinto del fauno- About a little girls fantasies to escape the horrors of the Spanish Civil War (for mature audiences) I've made a worksheet packet for this with scenes that you can skip over, Check it out here
El viaje de Carol- Also about the Spanish Civil War. This is not one of my favorites, I find it a bit boring but I think it's worth mentioning.
La lengua de la mariposa- This is about a young boy and his teacher who is a rebel during the Spanish Civil War. This is rated PG so it is better for less mature audiences. There is however one nude scene that will need to be skipped. (I honestly cannot figure out why it's even in the film)
Puerto Rico
Casi casi-This is about a rag tag group of students who try to help their friend win a student council election to impress his crush. Better for Spanish 1 and great to show during a unit about the school. Free vocabulary sheet and lesson plan.
Mexico/ USA
El norte- This is a personal favorite. It is about a brother and sister from Guatemala who illegally immigrate to the United States and the struggles that they face. It does have lots of bad language so beware. I would use this with more mature students simply because of the foul language and touchy subject matter. It is dated but I find that it is still an excellent movie to show with great dialogue to be had.
La misma luna- Another favorite about a young boy who sets out alone to try and find his mother who has immigrated to America. Great for all audiences. Check out my lesson plan here.
Devoluciones no se aceptan- This may be my all time favorite. Movie about a bachelor who gets saddled with his daughter and tries to return her to her mother in Los Angeles. This is a drama and a comedy all rolled into one. You will laugh and cry. I usually show this in Spanish 2. Here is a link to my lesson plan.
The Perfect Game -This is a movie about a rag tag group of boys from Monterrey who start a baseball team and make it to the Little League World Series. This is based on a true story, great for Spanish 1. I love to use this when we get to the unit on sports.
Mexico
Like water for chocolate- This one is just hands down a good love story. It contains magic realism. I would suggest it for a mature audience as it does have nudity.
Te Presento Laura- This is another favorite that will have you laughing and crying. I don't know if this one is school appropriate because the subject matter deals with assisted suicide. Laura is a young woman who knows that she will die in 30 days so she begins to fulfill her bucket list. Laura falls in love in the process and she begins to wonder if she made a mistake.
USA
Spare Parts- This is a movie about a high school robotics team that wins the national college robotics competition. Based on a true story. This is a great movie for any class.
Selena- We all know about Selena. This is also based on a true story and is great for any class. No matter how many years have passed I find that all of my students love Selena's music and her story.
DR
Azucar- This is a true story about a young man who is drafted into the minor leagues from a baseball school in the DR and his journey to find himself. This is great for most classes, however, there is a sex scene in the beginning and a scene where Sugar is watching porn with his teammates towards the middle.
Colombia
Love in the time of cholera- Alright guys this one is definitely not for high school because the subject matter is forgetting your forbidden love through sexual promiscuity, but this is my FAVORITE book of all time and the movie is not bad either. Who doesn't love Gabriel Garcia-Marquez?!! If you haven't read this book please do and if you speak Spanish please read it in the original language!
Note: If the title is in Spanish then so is the movie, if English then so is the move.
Spain
Volver- About a mother's search for herself after losing her husband and mother. (For more mature audiences)
El laberinto del fauno- About a little girls fantasies to escape the horrors of the Spanish Civil War (for mature audiences) I've made a worksheet packet for this with scenes that you can skip over, Check it out here
El viaje de Carol- Also about the Spanish Civil War. This is not one of my favorites, I find it a bit boring but I think it's worth mentioning.
La lengua de la mariposa- This is about a young boy and his teacher who is a rebel during the Spanish Civil War. This is rated PG so it is better for less mature audiences. There is however one nude scene that will need to be skipped. (I honestly cannot figure out why it's even in the film)
Puerto Rico
Casi casi-This is about a rag tag group of students who try to help their friend win a student council election to impress his crush. Better for Spanish 1 and great to show during a unit about the school. Free vocabulary sheet and lesson plan.
Mexico/ USA
El norte- This is a personal favorite. It is about a brother and sister from Guatemala who illegally immigrate to the United States and the struggles that they face. It does have lots of bad language so beware. I would use this with more mature students simply because of the foul language and touchy subject matter. It is dated but I find that it is still an excellent movie to show with great dialogue to be had.
La misma luna- Another favorite about a young boy who sets out alone to try and find his mother who has immigrated to America. Great for all audiences. Check out my lesson plan here.
Devoluciones no se aceptan- This may be my all time favorite. Movie about a bachelor who gets saddled with his daughter and tries to return her to her mother in Los Angeles. This is a drama and a comedy all rolled into one. You will laugh and cry. I usually show this in Spanish 2. Here is a link to my lesson plan.
The Perfect Game -This is a movie about a rag tag group of boys from Monterrey who start a baseball team and make it to the Little League World Series. This is based on a true story, great for Spanish 1. I love to use this when we get to the unit on sports.
Mexico
Like water for chocolate- This one is just hands down a good love story. It contains magic realism. I would suggest it for a mature audience as it does have nudity.
Te Presento Laura- This is another favorite that will have you laughing and crying. I don't know if this one is school appropriate because the subject matter deals with assisted suicide. Laura is a young woman who knows that she will die in 30 days so she begins to fulfill her bucket list. Laura falls in love in the process and she begins to wonder if she made a mistake.
USA
Spare Parts- This is a movie about a high school robotics team that wins the national college robotics competition. Based on a true story. This is a great movie for any class.
Selena- We all know about Selena. This is also based on a true story and is great for any class. No matter how many years have passed I find that all of my students love Selena's music and her story.
DR
Azucar- This is a true story about a young man who is drafted into the minor leagues from a baseball school in the DR and his journey to find himself. This is great for most classes, however, there is a sex scene in the beginning and a scene where Sugar is watching porn with his teammates towards the middle.
Colombia
Love in the time of cholera- Alright guys this one is definitely not for high school because the subject matter is forgetting your forbidden love through sexual promiscuity, but this is my FAVORITE book of all time and the movie is not bad either. Who doesn't love Gabriel Garcia-Marquez?!! If you haven't read this book please do and if you speak Spanish please read it in the original language!
Comments
Post a Comment